Spectrum Policy Modeling System
The Spectrum Policy Modeling System consolidates these previous models into an integrated package. In its current design, Spectrum has the following components:
- DemProj: Demography. DemProj projects the population for an entire country or region by age and sex, based on assumptions about fertility, mortality, and migration. A full set of demographic indicators can be displayed for up to 50 years into the future. Urban and rural projections can also be prepared. A companion model, EasyProj, supplies the data needed to make a population projection from the estimates produced by the Population Division of the United Nations.
- FamPlan: Family Planning. FamPlan projects family planning requirements needed to reach national goals for addressing unmet need or achieving desired fertility. It can be used to set realistic goals, to plan for the service expansion required to meet program objectives, and to evaluate alternative methods of achieving goals. The program uses assumptions about the proximate determinants of fertility and the characteristics of the family planning program (method mix, source mix, discontinuation rates) to calculate the cost and the number of users and acceptors of different methods by source.
- AIM: AIDS Impact Model. AIM projects the consequences of the HIV epidemic, including the number of people living with HIV, new infections, and AIDS deaths by age and sex; as well as the new cases of tuberculosis and AIDS orphans. AIM is used by UNAIDS to make the national and regional estimates it releases every two years.
- RAPID: Resources for the Awareness of Population Impacts on Development. RAPID projects the social and economic consequences of high fertility and rapid population growth for such sectors as labor, education, health, urbanization, and agriculture. This program is used to raise policymakers' awareness of the importance of fertility and population growth as factors in social and economic development.
- Goals Model. The Goals Model helps efforts to respond to the HIV epidemic by showing how the amount and allocation of funding is related to the achievement of national goals, such as the reduction of HIV prevalence and expansion of care and support.
- PMTCT: Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission. PMTCT evaluates the costs and benefits of intervention programs to reduce transmission of HIV from mother to child. Three sets of interventions are included in the model: drug treatment (seven possible options); type of delivery (vaginal or Cesarean section); and type of infant feeding (formula, breastfeeding, or mixed). Outputs include a benefit-cost ratio as well as cost-effectiveness measures such as cost per HIV infection averted.
- Lives Saved Tool (LiST- Child Survival). A program to project the changes in child survival in accordance with changes in coverage of different child health interventions. more information on LiST can be found here.
- Safe Motherhood Model. This model estimates the impact of various scores from the Maternal-Neonatal Program Index (MNPI) on a country’s maternal mortality ratio. The MNPI is an index of 81 indicators for national efforts to improve maternal and neonatal health services. The model helps managers to gain a better understanding of the impacts of policies, budgets, and service delivery improvements on maternal health outcomes.
- Allocate. Allocate examines the linkages and interactions among three main areas of a representative reproductive health action plan (RHAP): family planning, safe motherhood, and postabortion care. Allocate also shows the interactive impacts of changing decisions about levels of funding.
- HIV Vaccine. This model explores the impact of potential HIV vaccines on the epidemic.
Spectrum is a Windows program. The file to be downloaded is 40 MB in size.
Watch the YouTube tutorial on how to use the Spectrum suite of software models.
An e-learning course for DemProj, Introduction to Population Projections, is available here.
Some of the files in this software package were developed by the POLICY Project and will display an address starting with http://www.policyproject.com.
- AIM Manual (Russian) (PDF)
- AIM: A Computer Program for Making HIV/AIDS Projections and Examining the Demographic and Social Impacts of AIDS (PDF 3,084.2 kb 9/15/2010)
- AIM: Programme informatique pour réaliser des projections sur le VIH/SIDA et examiner ses impacts socio-économiques (PDF)
- AIM: Un Programa de Computación para Hacer Proyecciones del VIH/SIDA y Examinar los Impactos Sociales y Económicos del SIDA (PDF)
- Allocate: A Computer Program to Improve Priority Setting and Resource Allocation for Reproductive Health (PDF)
- DemProj: A Computer Program for Making Population Projections (PDF 894.5 kb 9/15/2010)
- DemProj: Programme informatique pour les projections démographiques (PDF)
- DemProj: Un Programa Computarizado para Calcular Proyecciones de Población (PDF)
- Demproj Manual (Russian) (PDF)
- FamPlan: A Computer Program for Projecting Family Planning Requirements (PDF 996.3 kb 9/17/2010)
- FamPlan: Programme informatisé pour les projections des besoins en matière de planification familiale (PDF)
- FamPlan: Un Programa Computarizado para Calcular Proyecciones de Requisitos de Planificación Familiar (PDF)
- PMCT: A Decision Model for Evaluating Strategies to Prevent Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV (PDF)
- PMCT: Modelo para Calcular los Costos y Beneficios de Tratamiento para Prevenir la Transmisión Materno Infantil del VIH (PDF)
- PMCT: Programme pour évaluer les coûts et les avantages des programmes de réduction de la transmission mère-enfant du HIV (PDF)
RAPID: Computer Programs for Examining the Socioeconomic Impacts of Population Growth (PDF 1,617.6 kb 10/13/2010)
- Second File (PDF 655.6 kb 10/13/2010)
- RAPID: Modelos Computarizados para Analizar las Consecuencias Socio-Económicas del Crecimiento Poblacional (PDF)
- RAPID: Programme Informatisé pour Examiner les Impacts Socio-économiques de l'Accroissement de la Population (PDF)
- Safe Motherhood: A Computer Program to Examine the Impact of Maternal Health Services on the Maternal Mortality Ratio (PDF)
Spectrum (v 4.71) (EXE 69,909.1 kb 12/3/2013)
- Second File (ZIP 61,524.1 kb 12/3/2013)